I enjoy reading the tips and suggestions on finding an honest or good mechanic. These can be found on various government and consumer websites. I think the same guy wrote all the suggestions for all 50 states.
You`ll be advised to check around by word of mouth (WOM), and make sure that you see ASE or AAA posted somewhere. Check out the facility-makes sure it`s clean. Check with the BBB. You`ll be acronymed and common sense suggested to death. None of it will really help.
I know AAA certified shops that can barely change oil. I have worked with ASE certified technicians that frightened me with their diagnostic theories. I know shops that are consider great that have serious BBB scars. And WOM is actually the worst method. I have heard clients rave about how wonderful a particular shop is when I KNOW it`s run by a thief!
Tips and suggestions only scratch at the surface of the automotive underworld. Sure, some tips might help. What`s really needed is experienced insider information. The consumer needs to know what really goes on, and how to identify what`s really going on in order to make sense of auto repair costs. With the right guidance, automotive customers can estimate car repair costs on their own.
Relying on tips and suggestions is like relying on a blind man to lead you across a major interstate. You might make it, but wouldn`t you rather follow a traffic cop.
Car Repair Prices: There Are No Honest Mechanics
-Theodore P. Olson (Ted)Common Auto Repairs Price Guide
Ted holds extensive certifications from Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, General Motors, ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) and more. Over a twenty-year period in the automotive service industry, he has served as a technician, shop foreman, shop manager, shop owner, service advisor, service manager, and service industry consultant.
Other Works by Ted Olson Include:
- ARREST the Automotive Service Industry!
- Maintenance Myths: A Step-by-Step Guide to STOP Getting Ripped Off!
- Auto Repair: The Shocking Truth About Who`s Ripping You Off and Why!
- Automotive Service Pricing Strategiesa fair pricing guide for service centers
- Being the Besta comprehensive customer service handbook for service advisors
- Service Center Personnelan auto repair informational for general service staff
- Service Mission Statementa philosophical proposal to improve customer service